Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Read and Write

My first blog post: Normally, when traveling, I stuff my carry-on with layers of books – you never know when you’ll be held hostage by an airline on the tarmac, say, for twelve hours, and have to crack open your third novel. But having more free time than expected during my stay, I’d read three and a half out of the four novels I’d packed. Sarah Stonich’s The Ice Chorus, a touching book I would have been happy to reread immediately, was packed in my luggage, hopefully somewhere in the belly of the plane, as was another beauty, Ann Packer’s Songs Without Words. Another I’d discovered I’d read years earlier and while an enjoyable, light read, it was clearly forgettable. So, I boarded my almost three hour flight with about 150 pages remaining in How to Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward. I finished half-way over Tennessee and liked the tragic story and honest prose, but was not in the mood to flip back to page one. So, I’m doing what my father would have advised had he still been alive. I put down the book I’d just finished and started writing, in this case my new blog.

6 comments:

Pamela Hammonds said...

I was able to devour a book on my Thanksgiving holiday, too. (Calorie-free indulgence!) Nothing like a non-judgmental friend among all the family dysfunction.

Unknown said...

You go girl! Maybe I will start reading again!

Robert Gombash said...

Great way to start your blogging career! Keep it up, Joan!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the J.R. Ward Book Lover Awakened, yet? Joan, I dare you to put it down after the first chapter...

Best,
Sophia
PS- Love the blog idea!

Joan Mora said...

S-
I promise I'll read J.R. Ward's book this weekend!
Thanks for stopping by!

Charles Coleman said...

Okay Joan, I got to your Blog before I expected to. That 8.5 x 11 reader could have been me with my huge assignments to critique - except I realize mine was 8 font, not 12. I am interested in the sidebar of sites you have visited. I will check some out. The concept of pitching my book at a urinal hadn't occured to me and I will start working something out at once.